Typical System & Application – Mobile Card Recognition System
A mobile recognition system provides users the ability to process business card images from a mobile camera. This system recognized and extracted fields, such as first name, last name, job title, company, department, telephone, fax, cell phone, email, website, address, city , state zip code and country, for importing information to a mobile address book saving manual entry time.
OCR Functions & Problems
OCR technology is an important part of any card recognition system, which is mainly used to recognize characters in images and reduce entry time. Below is a summary of the most common problems we encountered when developing the mobile recognition solution:
- It was difficult to control image acquisition physical environment, such as light, camera performance and shooting angle. It was difficult to maintain consistent image quality affecting recognition results.
- Although the content on the cards was relatively uniform, the different formats and background colors increased identification and extraction difficulty.
- Because the card recognition system was run in a mobile environment, the client required high software speed. OCR, as one of the most important functional modules of this card recognition system, had to provide recognition results at a much faster rate.
Based on all of the above problems, we customized our RTK based on the clients real world samples, and fully met our client’s needs.
- With specific aim of working with images obtained from camera, we developed a pre-processing module (threshold) to improve the accuracy rate.
- Gearing the engine to understand the card’s content features, we classified by card data and developed a post-processing module to improve extracting efficiency.
- To improve recognition speed, we simplified the recognition algorithms to save processing time.