Client is a provider of advanced mathematics courseware software, whose customer base has two categories: college students needing to learn advanced mathematics and mathematics teachers.
The client now wanted to upgrade their software to new platforms, but it is difficult to move existing software to new platforms through programming. The client hoped to use our OCR technology to identify existing software’s instructions and screen, export the output to XML, and import to the upgraded software.
OCR Functions & Problems
Because mathematical symbols and mathematical formulas (containing small marks, superscript, etc) needed to be recognized, it is difficult to keep the format.
We provided three solutions to our client:
- OCR SDK tuning, because mathematic recognition is also a worldwide challenge and research topic. So upfront investment will be large and result is not certain.
- Pure BPO (Back-office Process Outsourcing).
- Use OCR technology and partly BPO to achieve above 99% accuracy rate.
For this project, we used pure BPO. For pure BPO projects, we needed to clarify the following questions:
- Has the client provideed sample images and/or software?
- Recognition accuracy rate requirement.
- Export result: Does the orginal format needed to be maintained? (What is the XML export format?).
- Delivery time.
- Estimation of entry characters (English and mathematics formula).